How to Add Assistance Exercises (iPhone)
You can add assistance exercises in settings - workout - tap "edit assistance" at the bottom, when you upgrade to StrongLifts Pro.
You don't need to do extra assistance exercises. The main StrongLifts 5x5 exercises are enough to gain strength and muscle. However if you want to target certain body-part, you can do so by adding assistance exercises. You can find assistance exercises we recommend, or create your own.
Default Assistance Exercises
We have created several assistance exercises for you. They show in settings - workout - tap "edit assistance" at the bottom. We've preset the sets and reps, workout and progression we recommend for these default assistance exercises. Here's the full list...
- Chinups and Dips. We recommend these two assistance exercises to increase upper-body strength and mass, especially for bigger arms.
- Barbell Curls and Skullcrushers. Isolation exercises for biceps and triceps. Add chinups and dips before you add these two exercises.
- Planks and Hanging Knee raises. Target your ab muscles. Keep in mind proper diet is key, without it your abs will not show.
- Seated and standing calf raises. To target your calves, although keep in mind genetics may mean these have little impact.
- Paused and Close Grip Bench. Assistance exercises to help your Bench Press.
- Pushups and Pullups.
You can't change the sets and reps for the exercises, nor the workout in which they appear. If you want to change this, please create your own version instead. You can do that in settings - workout - tap "add assistance" at the bottom - then tap "create". More info below.
For more information about assistance work for StrongLifts 5x5, read the article on the website