How to Sync with Apple Health
The app syncs your body-weight and new workouts with Apple Health if you unlock the Power Pack.
The app will update your body-weight in Apple Health if you enter it in our app. Or it will update your weight in the app if you enter it in Apple Health. If you have a digital scale connected to Apple Health, it will automatically update your body-weight into the app. This saves you entering it twice.
New workouts will also show in Apple Health, with total workout time and calories burned. We estimate calories using your workout duration and body-weight. This isn't 100% accurate, but no calorie calculator ever is. The point is to give you a rough idea. Lifting weights is about more than burning calories anyway.
Workouts Don't Sync
If new workouts don't show in Apple Health, please check this:
- Open StrongLifts and go to settings - Apple Health. Enable "Sync with Apple Health" so a green button shows.
- Open the Health app. Tap "Sources" a the bottom and choose StrongLifts. Allow StrongLifts to write data for Active Energy, Weight, and Workouts. These three options must all have a green button so StrongLifts can update Apple Health.
- Log a new workout. Set the date of the workout as today (tap the date at the top). Enter all sets then tap done. Calories will be low because the workout only lasted a couple of seconds as you entered it quickly. But the workout should show.
Please note that old workouts won't show in Apple Health. Only new workouts will show.
Apple Watch Warning
The StrongLifts app does not work with Apple Watch at this time. We plan to add this in the future (can't say when). For now, do no track your workouts with your Apple Watch and the StrongLifts app the same time. If you do so, Apple will save the Apple Watch data and thus the StrongLifts data will not show in Health.
It may be possible to prioritize the data sources (see - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204351). But easier is to only track with the StrongLifts app as we are sending the total workout time plus estimated calories burned to Health anyway. The Apple Watch data is redundant.
Some people have reported inconsistent syncing with Apple Health. Workouts don't always show. We haven't been able to find any issue in the app so far, but would be very interested in exact steps to make it not work. A simple test you can do on your end
- Uninstall the app, reinstall it, don't login
- Enable Apple Health sync in settings - health
- Log a new workout, today's data, enter all sets, tap done
- Go to Health, the workout will show (this works every single time for us)
- Login again with Facebook/Google, log another workout, check if it's in Health.
If you find the specific steps to make it not work consistently, please send asap and we'd be happy to get any issue that is present fixed.