How to Change Increments (iPhone)
StrongLifts automatically adds weight each workout if you completed five reps on every set last time you did an exercise.
These are the default increments:
- Squat/Barbell Row: 2.5kg/5lb per workout
- Bench/Overhead Press: 2.5kg/5lb per workout. After three fails, the app will suggest microloading - 1kg/2lb increments.
- Deadlifts: 5kg/10lb per workout. Once you hit about 100kg/220lb the app will switch to smaller increments of 2.5kg/5lb per workout.
If you fail to complete all reps on an exercise, StrongLifts will not add weight in the next workout you do that exercise. Instead, it will repeat the weight.
If you fail to complete all reps on an exercise for three workouts in a row, then StrongLifts will deload. It will reduce the weight by 10% next time you do that exercise.
You can change all increments and deload settings easily. Just go to start workout - tap the weight - tap increments.
- Progressive overload - disable this if you don't want the app to automatically add weight each workout
- Increments - set how much weight you want the app to add each time you complete all sets on an exercise. From 0.1/01lb to 10kg/25lb (higher increments make no sense as they're unsustainable and cause plateaus).
- When to increase - if you complete all sets on an exercise, the default setting is to increase the weight next time you do that exercise. But you can set that to increase every 2 or 3 workouts if you prefer a slower progression.
- Deload - disable this if you don't want StrongLifts to automatically decrease the weight if you failed to complete all sets on an exercise last workout.
- Percentage - how much you want the weight to decrease by if you fail to complete all sets on an exercise. Default is 10%
- When to decrease - if you fail to complete all sets on an exercise for 3 workouts in a row, then the weight decreases by 10% next time. You can change that to deload after 2 failed workouts already, or even one.
More information on the website: